The customer journey is a better way of understanding customer behavior, and how to engage them. It’s far more accurate then purchase funnels. Though the stages and steps in both, purchase funnel and customer journey are similar, there are some key differences.
The customer journey is the actual path customers take, which can be tough to predict before they make a purchase and help marketers achieve their business goals and objectives. It is the non-linear view with many interconnecting branches, many of which double back on each other. It’s the view of the world through individual consumers senses of how they go about satisfying their needs, requirements, and desires.
Purchase funnel is a linear view of the world from the marketer’s eyes. It’s a path customer should take according to marketers to help him achieve his business goals and objectives. In order to meet their needs, wants, desires and requirements, consumers interact with every player in the mobile industry with their mobile devices. Sellers are people and organization responsible for all the media and advertising out there. Media is any physical or digital service or experience presented to consumers that are not owned and controlled by the marketer.
There are two types of sellers:
- Media Owners – They own media like a website or newspaper
- Advertising Solution Providers – These are companies that make it possible for marketers to pay for and place their paid marketing message in the media owners media like website or newspaper.
Marketers have media as well. Its called Owned Media. Owned Media comprises their websites, retail storefronts, sell sheets, product packaging, etc.
With the growth of social media, consumers have their owned media too, in form of their profiles. Marketers must earn their place in consumers media stream in form of likes, shares, retweets, comments, etc. This is called Earned Media. Enablers comprise of technology companies and agencies that make an end to end mobile consumer experience possible across every stage of the customer journey. All these mobile industry players work together. Sometimes, they may be playing multiple roles as well.
- Consumers – They are the king, as they sit on top of the mobile industry food chain. They drive then mobile industry through their spending.
- Marketers – They want to talk and learn from each other, and provide their goods and services to consumers.
- Sellers – They want to sell their media inventory and advertising solution to marketers.
- Enablers – They want to enable consumers directly and sell their services and technology to sellers and marketers.
- Associates – They represent consumers and sell their services to marketers and sellers.
Customer service is the new marketing.