Segmentation is the key to the first step in any analysis. A large set of complex data may not be easy to interpret and analyze. So it becomes important to group similar or related chunks of data together so it becomes easy to understand them. These chunks or pieces of related identical data is called a segment. This way, you can easily isolate and analyze subsets of your analytics data. Segments are easy to study and understand. They are created by applying a series of individual filters to your analytical data so they can be grouped on the basis of some common traits. In this slide, it is difficult to study all the analytical data of website visitors coming from different countries. So we have created a separate group or segment for each country, and are analyzing each country segment at a state level states in that country.
In the location reports, you can see the primary dimension selected is country. Here, you would the information about different countries that drive traffic and attention to your website. All the countries are grouped together in the country dimension. You can click on any country to move one level deeper and get access to its states. In this example, click on India (dimension) to navigate one level deep and get access to states (segment).In the region segment, you can see all the states from where audience or visitors arrive on your website have been grouped together. Now, if you click on any state (segment), you would navigate one level deep to its cities (sub-segment). You can also see the segment in the breadcrumb just above the graph and below the report label and the date range on the LHS.
There can be times when you would like to access different reports, but by using the same segment. For example, let’s say I want to know how many new and returning website visitors I have on the website each month but only from one segment – Mumbai. For this, I would have to define Mumbai as a segment. Thereafter, all the reports that we access, will have an additional option to see the analytical data or information for the defined segment – Mumbai only. So we can see all the new and returning website visitors from all over the world, as well as from Mumbai segment only. This way, we can access different reports using the segments we create.
The most important and arguably the easiest segment to build is Acquisition segment. It answers questions like why visitors came to your website, what were they looking for. The easiest way to build Acquisition segment is by having a look at keywords and search phrases being used by your visitors to find and arrive at your website. This is because the search determines the intent of the website visitors. And that is what acquisition segment represents – intent. To start with, let us have a look at the first most common, primary and generic one keyword visitors use to reach your website. Let us call it Pitcher keyword. All the website visitors who use this single most common and generic keyword would be placed in Pitcher. Website visitors who used Pitcher keyword belong to Pitcher Segment now. In case of Irine Digital Magazine Factory, the single most common search phrase or Pitcher keyword that drives traffic to our website is a magazine. All the people who used the Pitcher keyword “magazines” on search engines and arrived on our website would belong to Pitcher segment. Once we have identified and segmented visitors using Pitcher keyword, we will expand it and proceed to other search phrases or keywords that visitors are using to arrive on our website in addition to Pitcher keyword. These are called Glass keywords. In case if Irine Digital Factory, Glass keywords include – eMagazine, magazine app, interactive magazine, digital magazines, iPad magazine, the print magazine. All the people using they Glass keywords to arrive on our website now belong to Glass segment. Glass segment comprises of people who use additional keywords to express what they are searching for.
In the case of Irine Digital Marketing Factory, the Pitcher keyword is marketing. It is the single most popular keyword that drives traffic to our website. All the people who use these keywords have been grouped or segmented into Pitcher segment. There are also those people who use words in addition to the Pitcher keyword, to be more specific and accurate. These people are grouped or segmented into Glass segment. Some popular Glass keywords used by our visitors are internet marketing, social media marketing, digital marketing, online marketing, etc. There are different ways people search online. By adding additional words, they want more relevant search results. There are multiple ways people can use keywords to search online. You may want to rank higher for a specific keyword, but people may use that keyword in combination with other keywords for something totally different they may be looking for, and you may not feature in search results at all. Keywords are used in different ways by people for different purposes and functions. There is no surety you would always be ranked high for a specific keyword. The content on the landing page and keywords must be aligned and relevant for better search rankings.
While creating Acquisition segments, keep the following points in mind.
- Identify primary search terms or Pitcher keywords.
- Pitcher keyword should be the most common term in all keywords.
- Pitcher keyword should be a single word.
- Pitcher keyword should be short, abbreviated and easily usable.
- Identify secondary search terms or Glass keywords.
- Refine segments for Glass keywords.
- Try to identify themes or the different type of users visiting your website.
- Try to establish the intent of website visitors basis the emerging themes.
Online Courses you may be interested in:
- Digital Marketing Master Course
- Email Marketing Course
- Mobile Marketing Course
- Online Advertising Course
- Planning & Executing Digital Marketing Strategy
- Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) and Search Engine Marketing (SEM) Course
- Social Media Marketing Course
- Video Marketing Course
Certification Kits you may be interested in:
- IBM Big Data and Analytics Sales Mastery v2
- Google Adwords Video Advertising Certification Exam
- Moz SEO Expert Certification Course
- 70-778 Analyzing & Visualizing Data using Power BI
- Hubspot Email Marketing Certification Exam
- Google Shopping Advertising Certification
- Google Mobile Advertising Certification Exam
- SEMRush Social Media Marketing Certification Exam
- SEMRush PPC Exam Certification|| Get PPC Certified Now!
- SEMRush Content Marketing Course Certification
- IBM Enterprise Marketing Management Sales Certification Exam
- Google AdWords Fundamentals Certification Exam
- SEMRush Search Engine Optimization Certification Exam
- Google Display Advertising Certification Exam
- Professional Diploma in Digital Marketing Certification by Digital Marketing Institute, Ireland
- ODesk â€“ Search Engine Optimization Certification Exam
- WooRank Certification Exam
- Bing Ads Accredited Professional Certification